Spectracell Blood Panels
SpectraCell Laboratories, Inc. is a leading clinical laboratory specializing in personalized disease prevention and management solutions. Our pioneering intracellular micronutrient and cardiometabolic testing, driven by state-of-the-art technology, assesses a spectrum of risk factors and biomarkers for optimum wellness.
Nutrition is at the core of integrative health and SpectraCell’s Micronutrient Testing is the most advanced diagnostic tool available.
Micronutrient testing measures how micronutrients are actually functioning within your white blood cells. These tests allow your nutritional assessment for a broad variety of clinical conditions, general wellness and the prevention of chronic diseases including arthritis, cancer, cardiovascular risk, diabetes, various immunological disorders and metabolic disorders.
CardioMetabolic Testing: Your cellular metabolism and your cardiovascular system (heart and blood vessels) are very intricately linked. For various reasons – not just age – our metabolism changes. Our personal chemistry controls these changes and they can be measured in SpectraCell’s CardioMetabolic panel, which covers the three main areas of keeping a healthy metabolic profile your whole life: Glycemic Control, Lipid Profile, and Vascular Inflammation.
Hormone and Thyroid Testing: SpectraCell Laboratories offers comprehensive male and female hormone panels that reveal the overall state of hormonal balance in a patient. Like nutrients, hormones influence all aspects of health and disease – mood, sleep, metabolism, immunity, heart health and appearance. An imbalance of one hormone can initiate cascade of events that alters other hormones, so a comprehensive look at hormone status is key.
Thyroid hormones directly regulate every cell in our body as most basic functions like metabolism, emotions and thinking. We also test several proteins that affect thyroid function as well as antibodies to thyroid which can detect autoimmunity (when the immune system attacks healthy tissue) and your levels of cortisol, the stress hormone.
Telomeres are sections of genetic material at the end of each chromosome whose primary function is to prevent chromosomal “fraying” when a cell replicates. As a cell ages, its telomeres become shorter. Eventually, the telomeres become too short to allow cell replication, the cell stops dividing and will ultimately die – a normal biological process. SpectraCell’s Telomere Test can determine the length of a patient’s telomeres in relation to the patient’s age.
MTHFR is an enzyme responsible for converting 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate to the product 5-methyltetrahydrofolate – it is involved in the metabolism of folate and homocysteine. The product of the reaction catalyzed by MTHFR converts homocysteine (a potentially toxic amino acid) to methionine (a useful and necessary amino acid).
Why is MTHFR Genotyping Important?
- Certain mutations in the gene coding for MTHFR produce an enzyme that has reduced activity.
- Reduced activity can lead to elevated levels of homocysteine (a.k.a. hyperhomocysteinemia), especially when folate levels are low.
- High homocysteine (>13umol/L) may double the risk of developing illness or complications.
- MTHFR genotyping can provide information about potential causes of elevated homocysteine and approaches for addressing it.
- Based on MTHFR and homocysteine results, physicians can develop dietary and medical recommendations – increased intake of folate alone or in combination with vitamins B6 and B12 are recommended.
- Based on results, recommendations for methotrexate dosage can be adjusted.
Risks Associated with MTHFR Variants/High Homocysteine:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Cerebral Vascular Disease (Stroke)
- Venous and Arterial Thrombosis
- Methotrexate Toxicity for Cancer Therapy